[Tagging] highway=raceway?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 14 10:14:27 BST 2009

John Smith schrieb:
> 2009/10/14 Ulf Möller <osm at ulfm.de>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> highway=raceway has recently been added to the Map Features page because
>> it had been added to the Mapnik rendering rules a few months earlier,
>> but there is no information available about the tag.
>>
>> Could someone who knows the details create a wiki page for it? Is it
>> intended for motorcar racing tracks only, or also for horse racing etc.?
>
> I assume it's for vehicles, as the map features list horse racing and
> sports as leisure=track, sport=*

Hmmm, highway=raceway sounds pretty strange.

I've only heard the term racetrack (or maybe B.E. circuit) before, e.g.
Suzuki motorcycles uses (used?) the advertising slogan "Own the racetrack".

What's the benefit of highway=raceway over leisure=track, sport=motor then?

Anyway, if a motorcycle / car racetrack was meant, the tag is pretty
badly chosen ...

Regards, ULFL