[Tagging] Best practice regarding addr:housenumber and POIs

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Thu Oct 15 12:58:44 BST 2009

2009/10/15 Markus Lindholm <markus.lindholm at gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I'm wondering what is best practice regarding tagging addr:housenumber
> and POIs, e.g. amenity=restaurant.
> Let's assume that on Mainstreet 10 there's a restaurant named Thai
> Wok. Should there be one node or two?
> One single node with the tags addr:street, addr:housenumber,
> amenity=restaurant and name=Thai Wok or two nodes, one with the addr:*
> tags and another with the POI tags?
>
> Regards
> Markus

One, I guess, it keeps it simple and easy to ensure that the all the
data relating to that node are kept together.

However, You could put together n nodes, connect a way between them,
forming an area, and then tag the way. Allowing us to know how far
along the street the restaurant stretches and if it maybe has a back
door onto another street etc etc. (This is nice but not really
necessary).

Peter.