[Tagging] tagging the multipolygon model (was landuse and military)

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste at letuffe.org
Thu Oct 15 17:08:32 BST 2009

On jeudi 15 octobre 2009, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> For the lake in the forest: do you agree that someone would say: the
> lake (pond) is in the forest? Like a way in the forest, which doesn't
> have trees growing on it, but still is in the forest. It is not
> excluded.

That's a human language matter. I don't think it's good to stick a data model
to verbs and words.

Between them, there should be interpretation, understanding, and questions
answering. That is to say, programs.

The data model should be able to answer maximum human questions (with
programs)

Case of the lake in the forest, you could imagine multi-question to answer :
- what surface is this forest ?
Suppose I'm a wood lumber producer, I've got statitics about mean trees per
square km. I'll surely want to exclude the lake's surface, as well as any
road's surface going thru.
- is the lake "in" a forest ?
I suppose here I want to know if I can reach the lake by transporting my boat
through grass fields.

sly
Sylvain Letuffe liste at letuffe.org
qui suis-je : http://slyserv.dyndns.org