[Tagging] tagging the multipolygon model (was landuse and military)

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 17:14:06 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM, sly (sylvain letuffe)
<liste at letuffe.org> wrote:

Are you suggesting that when a landuse is inside another landuse, we
just don't use a multipolygon relation and don't care if the big is
overlapping the small ?
But we are not modelling the reality in this case. If someone or some
software requests only a certain type of landuse, it will get a full
polygone without any hole which is not correct. By doing this, you
force all softwares to ask for all data and make complex calculations
just to find what has to be excluded. I'm usually not a supporter of
'tagging for the software' but here, we have to represent the real
world as they are. For the example of residential and cemetery, the
residential area is 'arround' the cemetery and not 'the cemetery is on
top of the residential area'.

Pieren