[Tagging] tagging the multipolygon model (was landuse and military)

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 14:25:57 BST 2009

Pieren wrote:
> It doesn't fail so much because most of the time, landuse values are
> exclusive (residential, industrial, forest, etc). It is already enough
> complicated to add polygones or multipolygones for landuse. We can see
> that this is only done in countrysides or small urban areas but not in
> towns/cities. We cannot ask people to create a second polygon which
> will most of the time be a copy of the landuse : "land covered by
> buildings used for residential" or "land covered by trees used for
> trees farm". I think we should better enforce landuse to be exclusive
> by removing the non-exclusive values like military.

Residential isn't exclusive at all. Not to say that what it's actually used
for in OSM can have different meanings amongst different mappers. You'll find
many parks in OSM for example inside a residential polygon. I've never seen
holes in a landuse=residential polygon at locations where shops are. By far
most uses I've seen for landuse=residential are for areas which are generally
used for where people live, and usually have entire villages or cities inside
one polygon. That's not ground cover, that's telling what the area is used
for.

Proper ground cover would have no such thing as a "residential area". It would
have tags for "building" (and subtags for what kind of building it is), or
"garden".

I'm not saying that current landuse=residential/industrial/... doesn't have
any merit. It's quite nice to make maps for big areas. But at the level where
you start to show individual buildings only proper ground cover can be used.

Either the landuse=residential/industrial/... kind of tags have to move out of
the landuse key, or we have to come up with something new.

Now, ground cover in OSM is made up of several tags under different keys (like
natural or landuse), while same keys can often be found to map usage instead
of ground cover, resulting in conflicts (like the original discussion of this
thread where landuse=military can also be many other things; a farm could have
crop fields, meadows, orchards, ). It's just such a mess now and things need
to be split up and thoroughly revised or we'll regularly end up in discussions
like this in future.

Ben