[Tagging] The current problem with tagging

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Oct 18 14:53:35 BST 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 8:32 AM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> On 18/10/2009 12:01, John Smith wrote:
>> That's a good point, having some kind of API for tags would make it
>> possible to have translations with very little extra effort from a
>> programming point of view.
>
> Indeed. See my message from earlier this month:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-October/043340.html

I'd go further than that, and only allow tags marked as "experimental"
(for instance by prepending "X-") to be used without an open
discussion and approval by a team of experts.  There are some really
ugly inconsistencies in the OSM tagging scheme, and without expert
help these inconsistencies are going to get worse and worse.

And that only gets us to the point where we can tackle the bigger and
more difficult problem.  OSM is doing something that no one in the
world has ever really done - combining all the open content
geographical data ever produced into "one GIS to rule them all".