[Tagging] The current problem with tagging

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Sun Oct 18 17:58:05 BST 2009

> Why google? There is a search box in the wiki that I'd use first:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=lawyer
>
> First hit is the abandoned proposal amenity=lawyer. Unfortunately,
> there's a lot of ODBL and licensing results, too, so maybe we could
> introduce a namespace for tagging so you could only search tag
> documentation and proposals?

   Being able to restrict a namespace to tagging would be a big help.  Try
insurance   (for a shop which sells insurance).   I could swear that I
created an entry on the proposed shops page for insurance, but a wiki search
didn't find it.

> Do you have an easier solution than a search box? Integration of that
> search box with editors would be nice (these could then search their
> presets, too), but I don't think there is a more useful user interface
> for answering the "How do I tag y" question.

  It would be good to add to the editors - the law of the internet is that
search boxes on web sites are worse than useless.  A search for a street
address on the main maps page only reinforces this.    If we can organize
the wiki in to facilitate useful search functions that can be integrated
into editors, that would solve most of the issues.