[Tagging] The current problem with tagging

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 06:45:01 BST 2009

I've coded up a VERY VERY basic proof of concept:

http://tags.bigtincan.com

So far you can search for a specific tag name, view the description of
the tag, add a tag and add values for a tag and a description of the
value.

As an example I added the 'highway' tag, and 'motorway' value and
copied the descriptions from the wiki.

The list of things that would need to be done to make this actually
useful include:
* allow tags and values to be easily translated.
* edit/update tags and values
* allow people to vote the weighting of tags up/down
* allow people to add/remove synonyms for tags/values, and be able to
search on the synonyms
* extend the wiki formatting function to include more than just bold (''')
* extend the search to do fuzzy searching of values not just tags
* write an API so editors can hook into it to read data and write data
back into the system
* needs some kind of caching mechanism so editors only need to download updates
* add example images, or reference URLs so these could optionally be
displayed by editors/web site
* the ability to add context to tags by linking tags that a commonly
used in conjunction with each other, eg lanes=* should be linked to
highway=*

I'm sure there is more, please let me know if you think of things, but
that's all I've been able to come up with so far.