[Tagging] The current problem with tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 11:12:12 BST 2009

2009/10/19 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
> 2009/10/19 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:
>> 1. mapfeatures
>
> Only covers a very limited subset of tags.

the most used ones.

>> 2. wiki-search
>
> Due to the wiki being used for everything this is very ineffective at
> times, do a search for lawyer...

is an exception, there are not many exceptions though, and as soon as
a key:layer-page pops up, (e.g. set up by those who write continuously
about this lack in this list), it will be solved.

>> 3. (OSM-Doc / tagwatch)
>
> Only gives a single key pair, doesn't highlight combinations or
> context tags are used with each other.

true, could be augmented

>> 0./4. mailing-list  / forum
>
> This has shown to be very ineffective with contensious tags or it ends
> up with personal attacks because some think there is a predefined
> limit of posts people can make...

in the end you didn't care ;-)

>> 5. own tag (preferably plus documentation)
> While you may be able to document something, it's difficult for people
> to find it after wards, which is the whole point I presented from my
> original email, including why the wiki/tag watch don't scale.

the search is not that bad. Besides some exceptions (with too many
results) you usually find the stuff you're looking for (mostly if it
is about keys).

cheers,
Martin