[Tagging] The current problem with tagging

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:03:34 BST 2009

2009/10/19 Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>:
> Whether you try to continue that Semantic MediaWiki approach that has
> been suggested some time ago
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki
> or create your own app for browsing/searching (probably using the API
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/api.php) together with some parsing to
> extract templates) is up to you, but I'd strongly recommend to use the
> wiki as your backend for most of the information.

It doesn't matter how I look at the problem there will need to be a
lot of effort exerted to be useful.

The users need to spend a lot of time/effort getting the wiki up to
scratch, even then there is no guarantee that will be good enough
because there is no code at present to enforce some sort of
consistency needed to build a useful/encompassing index. Which is the
point of this thread to make is as simple for people to use and keep
up to date as possible with the least amount of effort as possible.

You can't do that with a wiki, and as I see it the amount of effort to
get the wiki to contort into something useful is about the same as
doing something new, although the learning curve to integrate with the
wiki might actually make it more effort to use a wiki for something as
sophisticated as what I'm proposing.