[Tagging] The current problem with tagging

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Mon Oct 19 14:14:44 BST 2009

John Smith:
>> Which features of your sophisticated solution can NOT be properly
>> implemented with a wiki backend? I don't see any except maybe the
>> "voting" feature, and even if some data is best stored outside the wiki,
>> that doesn't mean you cannot use the wiki for the rest.
>
> Can't easily keep the wiki updated from the number of uses either, or
> order the returned information based on those pieces of information.

Just to make this clear: I wasn't suggesting that you add those to the
wiki. Instead, you could have your application aggregate documentation
from the wiki, usage statistics calculated from OSM database, and some
additional information only relevant for that application (such as vote
counts) in order to present the user with an integrated, easily
searchable view of everything related to tagging.

I just think that duplicating information that is already present in the
wiki or could easily be added to it (texts describing the meaning of
tags, images and some basic information such as the "Element" and
"Useful combination" sections from the default templates) should be avoided.

Still, in the end it's all up to you.

Tobias Knerr