[Tagging] [OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC -(man_made=mineshaft)

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Tue Oct 27 21:46:20 GMT 2009

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> Yes, I mean status=*, and I'm aware that it doesn't avoid the problem -
>> however, the problem would have to be solved only once for all possible
>> status values. A check for status will filter out objects with e.g.
>> status=planned, too, even if only construction, disused and abandoned
>> were known when status was introduced.
>
> This wouldn't be helpful either, as status could be as well "running",
> "working", "in use" or whatever.

My proposal back then dealt with this by stating:
"Any life_cycle [/status] other than in_use implies that the general
public cannot use the feature."

Therefore, your examples would violate the definition of the key. Also,
I don't see a practical use for additional values that express "works as
usual". In fact, I don't even think that you should explicitly set them
at all, this should simply be the default case.

Tobias Knerr