[Tagging] Highway property proposal "covered=yes"

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Oct 29 17:12:56 GMT 2009

Randy wrote:
> I propose that an additional property for highway of "covered=yes" be used
> for this and similar situations, where a road extends under a building,
> roof attached to a building, etc.

If I understand you correctly, this tag is supposed to be used for
ways/areas that are *under* buildings, not for hallways, rooms etc.
*inside* buildings.

You chose an example that is clearly not a tunnel ("open on three
sides"), though. Therefore, some additional examples: Which of the
following, if any, would use covered=yes?

http://www.bahnfotokiste.de/s_bahn/blankenese/blankenese_6.html

http://www.skyduck.de/In_Japan/In_Wort_Bild/Sights_Festivals/Osaka_Trip/Building.jpg

http://tobias-knerr.de/misc/osmexamples/NK_s.jpg
(the always-open "gate" in the building in the background)

http://tobias-knerr.de/misc/osmexamples/Durchlauferhitzer_s.jpg