[Tagging] New place value for single settlements (below hamlet)

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Apr 6 01:39:58 BST 2010

On 4/5/10 6:33 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> ℳ∡ℝℸⅈℿ Koppenhoefer<dieterdreist at gmail.com>  writes:

>>> for

>>>  From Map Features wiki page:
>>>
>>> place=hamlet     As defined by national/state/provincial government.
>>> Generally smaller than a village, just a few houses
>>>

>> I am aware about this. That's why I am asking for the scientific English
>> term for single settlements (if it is not this). In German the word is
>> "Einzelsiedlung". This is not a hamlet (German "Weiler", which is at least 3
>> households), but smaller. I also wrote this in the topic.
>>
> In the US, I am not aware of the concept of a place name for a pair of
> houses.  Where I am (New England), there is "town" and "city", which are
> really the same thing but differ by form of government.  Then within
> those there are either "neighborhoods" or "villages", but those terms
> are loose because they tend not to have any legal/government standing.

be careful about Town. the meaning of the term Town in NY state is
distinctly different
from what you describe above. in NY, outside of Cities and other
incorporated entities
(villages), the counties are tiled with Towns -- everything is in a
town, no matter how
rural.

i would expect some definite state-to-state variation in what a Town is.

richard