[Tagging] Beaches

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 23:50:39 BST 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 3:36 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think it matters if it's a man made beach or not, natural=tree
> is used for planter boxes in the middle of the street, I'm pretty sure
> that isn't 100% natural :)

Hmm. Yes, we also have natural=water whether it's "natural" or
not....But this doesn't necessarily mean it's the best solution.

surface=sand is also not the best solution, because surface=* is
specifically for "surface of roads/footpaths".

The only alternative I see is landuse=beach, which I think would be
ok, if there were a clear distinction between this and natural=beach.
For a "beach" created by dumping a bunch of sand in the middle of a
city, to me, that's pretty clearly landuse=beach. But in Australia
sand, is frequently dumped on beaches bordering the sea, to "top up"
the sand for the tourists. At what point would that change from
natural=beach to landuse=beach?