[Tagging] Is highway=service, service=drive_thru a good idea?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 19:43:30 BST 2010

On 13 April 2010 04:32, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> Depends on the language.  If you have a COBOL background you might just be
> tempted to convert underscores to hyphens :).

I was just explaining how it made sense, that is it's not written
english, but more akin to a programming language with key words and
limited syntax.

> No.  There are probably more OSMers that know basic English than OSMers that
> know basic German.  And we all know where the hyphen key is.

You are assuming most people don't simply use presets, in which case
the language is unimportant and as time passes there will be
increasing separation between the raw xml and what the user sees and
uses, for numerous reasons, language will be one of them as there will
be translations made for the users but the underlying xml will be
primarily in english-esk, rather than proper english or any other
language for that matter.

> Anyway, whatever, if you want to make it drive_through, go ahead.

I was commenting on making things consistent, there is a lot of
existing examples of using underscores.