[Tagging] Ways that change names while crossing divided roadways

Sun Apr 25 03:52:02 BST 2010

At 2010-04-24 19:41, Tyler Gunn wrote:

>I installed the Garmin OSM map for my area and have been using it while I
>drive around locally.  The one thing I've noticed is that there is a lot of
>inconsistency in how streets that cross divided roadways are named.
>
>For example:
>http://osm.org/go/Wpz_F8RFl-
>
>Note Sunset Blvd on the left and Crystal Avenue on the right.
>Crystal crosses all the way over to the left roadway.  As a result, going
>south down the divided roadway, the Garmin picked up Crystal as the cross
>street, when I think it probably should have picked up Sunset.
>
>I'm thinking the solution would be to split the small way segment between
>the major roads so that the naming can carry across the major roadway.

That's one solution. What I usually do is to bring the ways back together
to form a single intersection at that point, which is technically more
accurate anyway. Plus, there are usually turn restrictions that are easier
to deal with on a single-node intersection: