[Tagging] Tagging buildings

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Apr 26 14:58:49 BST 2010

Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at ...> writes:

> > I think the answers will vary from different countries.
>
> And may vary locally.  Within N miles of the sea-shore, the MASS-GIS
> import includes building outlines from the NOAA airborne LIDAR coastal
> survey. Tagging is quite spare :
>
>     * area: yes
>     * building: yes
>     * source: MassGIS Buildings (http://www.mass.gov/mgis/lidarbuildingfp2d.htm)

Hi,

Area=yes is unnecessary.  Usually just building=yes is used and I suppose that
standard renderers are selecting all the buildings with something like "WHERE
building is not null".  But if you are going to render yourself it will be very
easy to add some colour to the map by separating tags like building=residential,
building=commercial etc. Some buildings have also well known names. Address tags
are often used with buildings but I would prefer seeing them as separate nodes
because I am lazy and that way it would be easier to find all the addresses from
the data imported into PostGIS with osm2pgsql. And then the buildings have
properties like architect, height, number of floors etc.

-Jukka Rahkonen-