[Tagging] [OSM-newbies] compass rose or wind rose?

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed Apr 28 22:00:57 BST 2010

On 04/28/2010 03:53 PM, Liz wrote:
> Compass Rose and Wind Rose are not synonyms.
> The Compass Rose is drawn on the map for the artistic representation of
> "North"
> A Wind Rose is a data representation showing you prevailing winds.
> http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/wind/wind_rose.shtml
>
> I'm not subscribed to newbies, could someone copy this to there?

Wikipedia suggests[1] that the compass rose is sometimes also called a
wind rose.  “Early forms of the compass rose were known as wind roses,
since no differentiation was made between a cardinal direction and the
wind which emanated from that direction.”

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_rose

-Alex Mauer “hawke”