[Tagging] Road closed in wet weather

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 02:28:38 BST 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 August 2010 20:05, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
>> I see - a permanent sign.
>> I've no idea was this was objected to. Was the discussion on how it was to
>> be tagged?
>
> I can't remember what happened, and there is nothing really useful on
> the discussion page at all.

Looks like the usual tussle between mapping at some deep semantic
level ("can you use the road in the wet season? does it flood? does it
become muddy? is it illegal to drive on it after rain?") vs mapping
the concrete ("is there a sign marking this road as a dry weather
road?")

In Australia, we have these signs, and they are regularly marked on
maps. Therefore, I don't think we need permission from the rest of the
OSM community to map "dry_weather_road=yes" (or better,
dry_weather_road=signed perhaps).

I did sort of like the idea of a more generic tag like
seasonal_closure=yes, which gets interpreted as appropriate for the
local area. In some places that means winter, in some places it means
wet season, perhaps for the country in temperate Australia, it means
any time after heavy rain.

Steve