[Tagging] tag groupings

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 02:39:12 BST 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Daniel Tremblay <tremblad at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've suggested a shoulder=yes/no tag.  Somebody came out with a complex
> structure (probably valid) for shoulders.  Does it really have to be that
> complicated? I don't know.  You, speclists, know better than me.
>
> What are the objective of the openstreetmap project?  Identify everthing on
> earth?  Or provide a complete free map of the world?

Hi Daniel, thanks for your input. Creating a workable folksonomy with
the right balance between expressiveness and simplicity is an
incredibly difficult task. You may only be interested in "shoulder/no
shoulder", but OSM has to serve a lot of different needs. That's where
the complexity comes from.

> Maybe I don't get it right...  But don't kill the project with unfollowable
> and incomprehensive rules / tags.

Right. But what you really mean is "don't scare off newbies with too
much complexity". We're aware of that, and that's why there are a
number of efforts to produce simpler editors which hide some of these
details.

Steve