[Tagging] tag groupings

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 07:36:01 BST 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Daniel Tremblay <tremblad at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've suggested a shoulder=yes/no tag.  Somebody came out with a complex
> structure (probably valid) for shoulders.  Does it really have to be that
> complicated? I don't know.  You, speclists, know better than me.

The issue is that there are people mapping at all levels of precision.
If all you are interested in is whether or not there is a shoulder,
you map that, but others might want more information, and we want to
keep their edits in line with each other too. For those the
complicated schemes are made, but there is nothing to force you to do
the same. There are tens of things that you can put on a road. Does
that make it complicated? Perhaps. But nobody is forcing you to use
them all, or even a significant subset of them. If you are not
interested in mapping something, then you don't. But when you are
interested in doing it, it's better that you do it the same way as
others who do. That's why we get to complicated schemes - there will
always be people who *do* want to add that information, and in that
case, we'd rather do it consistently.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com