[Tagging] Shoulder and traffic indicator tags

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 08:30:58 BST 2010

  Hi all,
   Did this discussion die out? The following two suggestions seem
pretty sensible:

cycleway=shoulder
(There is no bike lane, but a rideable shoulder).

cycleway=sharrow
(There are marking on the road for bikes, but not an exclusive bike lane).

The term "sharrow" was unfamiliar to me, but it seems to perfectly
describe this situation. Around here we have something like that - no
arrows, but just a painted bicycle symbol with no line. (Alternatives
might be cycleway=markings, cycleway=shared...)

Sure, we could debate the shoulder thing forever, but
"cycleway=shoulder" is easy, and covers 90% of the reasons for mapping
it: so cyclists can distinguish between roads that have rideable
shoulders and those that don't.

Steve