[Tagging] Shoulder and traffic indicator tags

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Aug 3 14:46:56 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 4:13 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Shoulders are actually more important to pedestrians than cyclists. A
> good cyclist won't care if there's a shoulder, but a good pedestrian
> must walk against traffic and be prepared to get out of the way if
> walking in the travel lane. So if anything they should be
> footway=shoulder.

I don't buy it.  Where I live most roadways have shoulders for
bicycles and sidewalks for pedestrians.  Yes, bicycles are allowed to
share the main roadway, but only if for some reason the shoulder is
unsuitable.

That seems to me like the definition of a cycleway.  Yes, there are
usually no signs which say "bicycles can use the shoulder", but then,
there rarely are signs which say "vehicles can use the road" either.