[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Extra details for postboxes

vclaw vclaw22 at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 6 04:56:14 BST 2010

On 05/08/2010 23:29, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 18:52, vclaw wrote:
>> On 05/08/2010 17:03, Tobias Knerr wrote:
>>> I suggest a more generic approach for the mounting/anchor information -
>>> a key like this could be used for lots of different features, such as
>>> post boxes, clocks, waste bins or vending machines.
>>>
>>> Specifically, I suggest to use the "support" key that has originally
>>> been defined for clocks:
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dclock#Support
>>
>> Maybe, but I think these postbox are usually known as pillar/lamp/wall
>> etc, so best to use the common names.
>
> The choice of values made me think of them as generic terms, rather than
> certain models of post boxes, as there's nothing in the key or values to
> suggest that these are (apparently UK-specific) styles of post boxes.
>
> So to clarify this: The "post_box:type" key describes the physical shape
> of the post box, the values are specific models of post boxes and are
> not intended to be than a universally applicable description of the
> mounting?

Yes, I think so, its about the physical shape/size of the postbox, as
well as how its mounted. I've tried to clarify the descriptions a bit.
I'm mostly basing it on the Wikipedia articles for pillar box/lamp
box/wall box, which are now linked.

Maybe these styles are specific to the UK (and other Commonwealth
countries), what type of postboxes are used elsewhere in the world? More
values can be added if desired.