[Tagging] Shoulder and traffic indicator tags

Simon Biber simonbiber at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 9 07:12:05 BST 2010

Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> The way I've  been handling this is to stretch the limits of the
>bicycle=destination  tag; if it's more major than residential, open to bicycles,
>but lacks  shoulders and has narrow lanes or on-street parking, then I tag it
>bicycle=destination (unless it qualifies for cycleway=lane).

The tag access=destination is supposed to indicate roads where transiting
through is officially discouraged or prohibited, for example with signs such as
"local traffic only".

I would use bicycle=destination only if bicycles were officially discouraged
from using the road as a thoroughfare.

If that's not the case, perhaps you can hint that the road is less preferable
for bicycle routing by using some combination of objective tags like:

cycleway  (none)
maxspeed (high)
shoulder  (none)
lanes       (many)