[Tagging] What do others call this?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 01:35:18 BST 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> Do they actually have a vineyard on site?  At least locally (US:OR), a
> winery can't call itself a vineyard unless they're growing their grapes
> on site, though you can call yourself a winery whether or not you grow on-
> site (and indeed, the blue motorist information signs call 'em all
> wineries whether or not they have a vineyard).

Hmm, that kind of distinction makes life even more complicated. You
can have vineyards that don't make wine (eg, I have a friend whose
family grows grapes that they get turned into wine on contract), and
thus wineries that don't grow grapes (or at least, grow a small
portion of their own grapes).

Wish there was an agriculture=* tag. Life could be simple:

agriculture=grapes
industry=wine
tourism=winery
shop=wine

This location grows grapes, produces wine, is a tourist attraction,
and sells wine.

(Note that for tourism purposes, you only care about the last two.)

Steve