[Tagging] What do others call this?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 06:31:04 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 August 2010 11:30, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
>> not sure it's wise to try and tag for crop types. many farms
>> do rotate their crops, after all. not the same from year to year,
>> and all that.
>
> In the area I grew up in they rotated twice a year in some cases...

True, you wouldn't want to try and tag that. However certain types of
agriculture like vineyards are much more permanent.

So maybe it is appropriate to leave them as landuse:

landuse=orchard
landuse=vineyard

Presumably a basic distinction between pasture, crops, grapes, and any
kind of tree (orchards, hazelnuts...) would be meaningful and not
change too quickly. Even that might not be maintainable though, since
by definition agricultural areas have low population density (and very
low OSM mapper density...)

Steve