[Tagging] Tagging for streets with sharrows?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 03:00:18 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> bicycle=designated is all a sharrow means in OSM terms.

No, there are other kinds of designation covered by bicycle=designated.

I think we should pick a specific tag, write it up in the wiki, and go
for it. Either:

cycleway=sharrow

or

cycleway=shared_lane

I prefer the former as it's unambiguous what it refers to, even if the
term isn't familiar to everyone: a non-exclusive marking on the road
indicating to cyclists where to ride, and warning drivers to look out
for them.

(Later, we may want to get fancier with sharrow=turn_lane,
sharrow=left or whatever...but that's later)

Steve