[Tagging] other landuse values?

Sebastian Klein bastikln at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 14 18:34:40 BST 2010

Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> There seem to be a fair number of types of land use that don't fit
> into the landuse values given on
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landuse. I'm going to use
> http://www.ocpafl.org/pls/webappI/get_codes?p_code=propuse to give
> examples of uses that I can't figure out:
> *vacant foo: is this always greenfield/brownfield (unless there's a
> clear remnant of a former use like managed forest)?
> *airports, transit terminals
> *restaurants, banks, and offices and such open to the public: retail
> or commercial?
> *recreational/meeting (like a YMCA)
> *tourist attraction, hotel, and other tourism/leisure uses
> *agricultural uses other than those specifically listed on the wiki
> *religious: is amenity=place_of_worship correct on the land or just
> the building?
> *hospital: amenity=hospital on the land? would doctors' offices be commercial?
> *retirement community: always residential, even when it's set up more
> like a hospital?
> *utility
> *conservation: just use the natural=* tags?

Hi,

from what I understand, landuse is to mark a larger area that has
multiple entities of a certain type:

  * landuse=industrial      - multiple different industrial companies at
that place
  * landuse=allotments      - area with a lot of gardens
  * landuse=residential     - multiple residents living there
(But if there are a couple of doctors and restaurants mixed in, it is
still residential area.)

What I'm trying to say: No need to create a landuse area for each
building or single tourist attraction.

If you like to mark a larger hospital area, why not use a site relation?

Sebastian