[Tagging] other landuse values?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 10:58:12 BST 2010

2010/8/15 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com>:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Sebastian Klein
> <bastikln at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> from what I understand, landuse is to mark a larger area that has multiple
>
> I think it's useful to differentiate/subdivide areas where there are
> noticeable changes in landuse: don't be too enthusiastic about lumping
> stuff together.

+1

> I'm not sure this justifies a huge range of new values though: in some
> ways it's better to concentrate on identifying retail and commercial
> areas within residential/industrial, and so on.

+-0
you might be true that the missing landuses are not "huge" in numbers,
but there are some missing, e.g. for public services (police, fire
stations, wastewatertreatment/freshwater, public administration and
services), central areas (mixed use of retail, residential,
commercial, turistic uses), cultural uses (museums, theatres, etc.),
educational uses (universities, schools, ...).

there is also some leisure-tags that actually describe landuses
(parks, amusement centres, ...).

For city centres with mixed use I proposed once
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/centre_zone
but actually I think now that it might be better to have landuse=mixed
for mixed landuses (especially if the mix is within the same buildings
like ground floor shops, upper floors offices and residences) and
another attribute to combine with like centre=yes for the
intensity/relative importance.

cheers,
Martin