[Tagging] Vacant shop tagging...

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 15 23:44:15 BST 2010

On 15/08/2010 22:30, John Smith wrote:
> I'm not sure this is the best way to do things, what do others think?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Map_Features:shop&oldid=517645&diff=next

If its vacant, then its not a shop, so shouldn't be tagged as such.
Otherwise it will show up on applications / renderers that show anything
tagged as shop=* with a shop icon.

Found this page on the wiki, which has a summary of some of the ideas
for tagging disused features etc:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Comparison_of_life_cycle_concepts

I think the best option is the one it describes as "<key>-<status> =
<value>".
ie use a separate namespace, so tag it something like disused:shop=yes
Then it can be easily ignored by applications that just want to show
currently existing shops, or rendered differently etc.