[Tagging] Tagging for streets with sharrows?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 11:48:48 BST 2010

2010/8/16 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
> It doesn't really fit with my understanding of "bicycle=designated". I
> understand that tag as meaning "yes, bicycles are definitely permitted
> here, and there is signage or legislation to prove it".

actually it was intended to say: this is a piece of way dedicated
explicitly to bicycles (and probably to other means of transport as
well). So I think that it fits for sharrows.

> With very few
> exceptions, bicycles are allowed on all roads, so any
> "highway=tertiary, bicycle=designated" seems a misfit.

+1, because the roads are not specially dedicated to bicycles.

> You also open
> up the question, shouldn't it be "bicycle=designated; cycleway=lane"
> as well?

that is true but implicit, so no need to tag it explicitly.

cheers,
Martin