[Tagging] Non Proposed Features

edodd at billiau.net edodd at billiau.net
Mon Aug 16 22:37:23 BST 2010

> Hi everybody,
>
> as I noted in my diary, the forums,...
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/!i!/diary/11477
> I would like to improve the features page and other wiki pages around.
>
> Therefore I asked at the talk page
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features#Cleanup_Request
>
> I checked the current german map feature list and noticed a lot few
> features and key that are new but non proposed. I beg the authors to
> move them out of the list back to the proposed features.
> I create a template to label them
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features#Non_proposed_features
>
> Hope nobody is angry, of course everybody can tag as he like but IMHO
> the feature list needs some kind of soft moderation:
> 1. it is for the most people 'the reference' esp. newbies
> 2. the community should have the right to talk about new ideas
> 3. Proposals seem to be the only way to avoid conflicts and get good
> models that work fine worldwide.
>
> Of course the proposal process is far away from beeing perfect, looks a
> little bit like master control, makes it ardous to introduce new

that is the complete problem, the proposal process is imperfect and occurs
in two places, although only the wiki is noted as the place "on the wiki"
before you decide to move everything around on the wiki
1. rewrite the proposals process closer to reality and get agreement
2. decide with others, not by yourself what is approved and not approved
3. long ago a committee was suggested to get this sort of thing organised
and howled down by the groups who like free tagging and free
documentation.
Those who liked consensus were annoyed by the incredibly small number of
wiki voters who approved and disapproved tags