[Tagging] Dancing school

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Aug 16 22:41:01 BST 2010

  On 8/16/10 3:33 PM, Emilie Laffray wrote:

> On 16 August 2010 20:22, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
> <mailto:deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 17 August 2010 05:15, Andreas Labres <list at lab.at
>     <mailto:list at lab.at>> wrote:
>     >  Proposal:
>     > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Dancing_school
>
>     I'm wondering if a sub-tag would be more useful, eg
>
>     amenity=school
>     school=dance
>
>     That way you could group other similar schools, like martial arts,
>     using school=* would also allow you to better tag existing schools, eg
>     primary/middle/secondary/tertiary
>

> I think it is a good way to do this. In france we are using
> amenity=school and then using school:fr=lycee for example to give some
> extra precision while keeping the rendering and the information
> intact. It allows the international use too.
i like this too. in the US, we could then do this:

amenity=school
school=middle

for a middle school, for example. places where schools are organized
differently
would just use the appropriate local terms. school=* might end up with a big
list of tags, but that's ok. examples:

school=driving
school=equestrian
school:us=high/middle/grade (tiers of US public schools)
school=truck_driving

richard