[Tagging] Tagging for streets with sharrows?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Aug 16 22:09:19 BST 2010

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:09:43 +0100, Dave F. wrote:

> On 10/08/2010 11:54, Mike N. wrote:
>> There are a number of local streets being converted from 4-lane to 2
>> lanes + center turn + sharrows.
>>
>> http://bikehugger.com/2006/12/whats-a-sharrow.html
>>
>>  What is the best way to tag these - they were  discussed briefly in
>> the recent "shoulder, etc" thread, but I can't find any consensus.   I
>> found the proposed cycleway=shared_lane , which seems to be as good a
>> solution as any. Comments?

> Hi
>
> OK, can I get some clarification here please?
>
> A sharrow does not describe what type of cycleway it is, or whereabouts
> it is, but purely some painted lines on the road in the form a chevron
> arrows as a sign.
>
> Is this correct?

Incorrect.  A sharrow is used on a designated bicycle route to indicate
what part of a shared lane bicyclists should use (ideally the center of
the chevrons) and to remind motorists that they're driving on a bicycle
route.  It doesn't indicate what network (LCN/RCN/ICN/NCN), just that the
lane is one on a designated bicycle route where bicycles frequently use
that lane.

Downtown Portland has plans on putting these markings on all lanes of
most downtown streets soon.