[Tagging] Dancing school

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 16 23:24:00 BST 2010

Am 17.08.2010 00:04, schrieb John Smith:
> On 17 August 2010 07:57, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer<dieterdreist at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> -1, IMHO no. A dancing school, boxing school, ski school, etc. are
>> IMHO not in the same category than general-education schools. They
>> might be classified in one category, but that is IMHO not school.
>
> That's what the sub tag is for, a school is where you gain knowledge
> or experience in what is being taught, so as long as the sub-tag
> distinguishes things sufficiently, and this is where primary/secondary
> or even just school=general would come in, there should be no issue.

There has been a long discussion about this on talk-de some time ago.

Outcome was to not tag "special schools" with amenity=school.

If a renderer wants to differentiate between a general purpose school
and a ski school (and I really think renderers want to do that), it has
to know all possible school=xy subtags that's probably out there.

What is the benefit to put this all under amenity=school - and then have
a tag no renderer actually can use, because it is far too generic?

Regards, ULFL