[Tagging] Dancing school

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 23:53:45 BST 2010

2010/8/17 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
> On 17 August 2010 08:24, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> What is the benefit to put this all under amenity=school - and then have a
>> tag no renderer actually can use, because it is far too generic?
>
> The benefit is an existing tag that isn't very specific, so we could
> imply the existing tag to be amenity=school, school=general if there
> is no school=* tag.

it doesn't change the good point Ulf made: a potential data consumer
would have to know all school types for a pleasant results. Currently
most schools are tagged with amenity=school and maybe a name. This is
sufficient for many maps. If we now start to put all kind of special
interest schools, sports facilities and other in this category, it
will get useless. Renderers would have to know all local types of
general schools that will get entered in the subtag school (because it
will not remain general and because it is a good idea to tag
school=fr:lycee, de:Gymnasium, it:liceo, highschool, etc.). Or they
will only evaluate one tag (amenity=school) because they do this for
years, and they will start to display rubbish.

I'm generally in favour of subtagging, where it is adequat. I just
don't see the benefit here and worse, I feel it would harm. In the
case of schools I think there are already enough different types of
general-education schools to differentiate. If you make a map of
schools you will in most cases don't want the boxing schools in.

Another hint might be to see how others handle this. If you look at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_by_country
there is not the faintest hint to other than general education
schools. No word about driving schools or dancing schools. They are
very different. Really. Btw: the OSM Wiki refers to Wikipedia's
definition of school.

cheers,
Martin