[Tagging] Proposal: Energy generator power types

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Aug 17 15:29:12 BST 2010

On 17 August 2010 15:25, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/8/17 André Riedel <riedel.andre at gmail.com>:
> >> power=generator (the starting point)
> >
> > Please do not mix the "power"-tag for generating electricity with
> > other sources of energy like steam, vacuum, heat and so on.
>
> why not? Isn't that all power?

You could be very, very picky here and get into all sorts of semantic
problems, not least arguing about different languages, whether to strictly
follow the definition in physics, etc.

Or you could just keep things simple, accept that what we are talking about
here is a range of objects generating useful energy, and extend the existing
accepted tagging schema that already includes heat-generating equipment to
encompass all of the proposals.

If you really want something like "man_made=heat_plant" you are going to get
into all sorts of problems with power plants that generate heat, cooling and
electricity!

Regards,
Tom