[Tagging] [OSM-talk] proposal: rental=*

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 02:58:37 BST 2010

On 18 August 2010 11:41, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:30 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> shop=rental
>> rental:car=yes/no
>> rental:bike=yes/no
>> rental:truck=yes/no
>> rental:van=yes/no
>> rental:bus=yes/no
>
> I don't like this because this:
>
> shop=rental

Which is why I added a bunch of tags after describing what it does rent...

> means nothing. "It's a shop where you can rent stuff!" I'd prefer:
>
> shop=bicycle
> rental=bicycle

-1

Some rental places offer cars, vans, trucks etc, it's much better to
use a form similar to what I wrote earlier.

This is analogous to amenity=fuel and then listing the types of fuel
sold in separate key/value pairs. We don't tag it as amenity=lpg_fuel.

> Ok, it doesn't capture the fact the shop only rents, and doesn't sell
> bikes, but meh. It probably sells accessories.

>From the few times I've rented vehicles, the only thing that most
rental only business sell you is insurance.