[Tagging] [OSM-talk] proposal: rental=*

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 03:11:36 BST 2010

On 18 August 2010 12:04, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Which only a few diehards are ever going to tag. Ease of use for
> taggers is a major consideration. More tags=more powerful information,
> but less usability.

There is a lot of amenity=fast_food places tagged, I wonder how many
tag the cuisine properly. In this case the name/brand alone is usually
significant for people to deduce the cuisine, I'm guessing a name like
"Bay City Bike" (first result on Google) would kind of give the same
information.

>> This is analogous to amenity=fuel and then listing the types of fuel
>> sold in separate key/value pairs. We don't tag it as amenity=lpg_fuel.
>
> I don't see the analogy personally

Well the analogy is simple, using your example that we wouldn't find
any bike rental places, unless they were tagged *=bike_rental then in
your view then, how would we ever find a fuel location that sells lpg
fuel unless they were tagged amenity=lpg_fuel?

> I said "bikes".

While you might be interested in bike rental places, they aren't the
most common type of rental place, and I don't see why we should have
such a narrow view/approach to a common type of shop.