[Tagging] [Talk-us] National Forest trail numbering

Wed Aug 18 03:55:48 BST 2010

At 2010-08-17 14:33, Paul Johnson wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:44:58 -0700, Alan Mintz wrote:

> >>I believe what you're tagging as FH and FR would be better covered under
> >>the combined "RFD" label.
> >
> > The only meaning of RFD I know of is related to a type of postal
> > delivery route. I'm using abbreviations found in USFS documentation, and
> > used by USFS workers.
>
>Err, typo.  I meant "NFD," which is "National Forest Development," which
>is what the USDA itself refers to it's forest routes as.  Two digit NFDs
>are usually the main roads, with three and four digit ones being
>increasingly minor tracks.

As I said somewhere earlier, this seems to vary by region and forest. The
tagging I mentioned is used in all southern and central California
USFS-oversight forests and the ones I was able to quickly check just now in
northern CA.

I'll also note that because the township/range numbers are relative to a
specific baseline/meridian, there can be duplication of road refs between
widely-spaced areas. That is, the refs are relevant only in conjunction
with the area in which they lie. Some like to say that one can always look
at position within an admin boundary for context, while others might want
to include enough in the tagging to make the ref unique, like maybe adding
an  is_in:county tag (I believe there is exactly one baseline/meridian
applicable to each county).