[Tagging] [Talk-us] National Forest trail numbering

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Wed Aug 18 06:24:08 BST 2010

On Tuesday, August 17, 2010 08:55:48 pm, Alan Mintz wrote:
> As I said somewhere earlier, this seems to vary by region and forest. The
> tagging I mentioned is used in all southern and central California
> USFS-oversight forests and the ones I was able to quickly check just now in
> northern CA.

Very wildly… for the areas I'm dealing with:

  http://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5176677.pdf

use numbers (i.e. 44), while another area a bit south:

  http://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5176693.pdf

use T plus the number (i.e. T5004). In the shapefiles I have, trails are referred to by number only for the entire forest.

AFAIK, the former trails are very old (30+ yrs?) while the latter trails are relatively new (10 yrs), if that matters.

Alan, do you have a reference for the FH/FR/FT designation so I can add this to the wiki? It's frequently mentioned on the Internet, but I've not found anything particularly authoritative looking.

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

A man said to the Universe: "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the Universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."
-- Stephen Crane (607)

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

God defend me from myself.