[Tagging] [OSM-talk] proposal: rental=*

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 11:03:58 BST 2010

On 18 August 2010 19:07, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/8/18 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
>> There is a lot of amenity=fast_food places tagged, I wonder how many
>> tag the cuisine properly. In this case the name/brand alone is usually
>> significant for people to deduce the cuisine, I'm guessing a name like
>> "Bay City Bike" (first result on Google) would kind of give the same
>> information.
>

> so make a guess what "Robben & Wientjes" (biggest in Berlin of it's kind) rent?

Why would I be expected to know who they are when I'm half a world
away, I could have named a dozen or so local rental companies you
wouldn't know about as well.

That said, someone close to the region most likely would, especially
if they are the biggest in the region, or booked online before going
to that part of the world, so the name alone would be sufficient.

> a common type of shop like renting? Actually they all have the renting
> part in common, but it is really of no interest. We could also have
> shop=retail
> retail:food=yes/no
> retail:scissors=yes/no
> retail:bread=yes/no
> retail:ice_cream=yes
> retail:games=yes
> retail:cars=yes
> retail:foo=yes

You are comparing a subtype of shops (rentals) with all shops, this is
hardly a realistic comparison.