[Tagging] Tagging for streets with sharrows?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 12:55:04 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>wrote:

>>  i think cycleway=shared or shared_lane
> is useful, but more general than the sharrow usage.
> we have stretches of public road where the fact that
> it's a bike path is shown by posted signs, but there
> are no markings on the pavement whatsoever.
>
> richard

It's not a cycleway, as others already said. You are replacing an access tag
"bicycle=yes/no/designated/etc" by a physical descriptor tag
"cycleway=lane/track/etc". A sharrow is nothing else than a normal lane for
cars with a bicycle painted on it. Almost all car lanes are shared with
bicycles, it makes no sens to create a cycleway=shared or shared_lane  if it
is not separated from the normal car traffic : use the access tags for that
please. Don't mix-up things that are enough complicated.

Pieren