[Tagging] Tagging for streets with sharrows?

Alan Millar amillar503 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 05:33:22 BST 2010

> Any arguments against cycleway=sharrow?

> That is, just as you can have "cycleway=track" (100% dedicated
> cycleway) and "cycleway=no" (0% dedicated cycleway), I think you can
> have all the points in the middle. A sharrow is not "a cycleway", but
> might be 20% a cycleway, so "cycleway=sharrow" is a good way of
> tagging it, IMHO.
>
> Anyone agree?

I agree.  The "highway" tag always designates the primary usage.  For a
way that is exclusively for bicycles, you should use
"highway=cycleway".

There is no point in having a "cycleway=x" tag unless it can be used in
addition to other tags, such as "highway".  So cycleway=sharrow makes
sense.

- Alan