[Tagging] Is cycleway:right=lane necessary on a one-way street?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 03:22:31 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you say on onewaystreets cycleway=lane is the same as
> cycleway:right=lane, how would you tag a oneway street that has a
> bike-lane for both directions? And one that has 2 bikelanes, one for
> each direction (left and right)?

I don't think you can really distinguish these two cases. The best I
could come up with:

A single cycle lane which can be ridden in both directions:
oneway=yes
cycleway=opposite_lane
(or cycleway:right=opposite_lane for more precision)

This would be one cycle lane on either side:
oneway=yes
cycleway:right=lane
cycleway:left=opposite_lane

I have no idea if any software actually interprets these tags, but
theoretically this tag set would mean the right side goes with
traffic, and the left side goes both with and against traffic. You
could invent another tag "cycleway:left=opposite_lane_only", but it's
already pretty unintuitive (opposite to what exactly....) and is
getting to that "does it really matter anyway?" stage.

Steve