[Tagging] [OSM-talk] collection/street relation: which one to use?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Thu Aug 19 15:37:49 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Simone Saviolo
<simone.saviolo at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/8/19 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
>> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Simone Saviolo
>> <simone.saviolo at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So, if the name of a street is changed for whatever reason, I have to
>>> go through the, maybe, several hundreds of house numbers on that way,
>>> change the addr:street on every single one of them, and then hope the
>>> name isn't changed again too soon? Is this the right solution?
>>
>> No, the right solution is to have the API support references.
>
> They do, sort of. You create a relation which holds a "reference" to the street.

That's backwards, though, and the implementation is quite costly from
a performance perspective.  You want the address to reference the
street, not the street to reference the address.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Relations/Relations_are_not_Categories#Partly_disagree

Richard, you're on this list.  What do you think?  Is the
associatedStreet relation an appropriate use of relations?