[Tagging] waterway=river_channel

Klaus Hartl k127 at gmx.de
Sun Aug 22 17:55:55 BST 2010

I'd like to create a proposal about mapping whole (intermittent, [1])
river areas rather than just waterbodies. This enables the map user to
see which area is affected by regular maximum water level of a river as
well as the the area the river potentially moves crossways.

a cross section example of a river:

^^^---~~--~----~^^^
    |...........|

where:
^    natural=* / landuse=*
~    waterway=river
-    natural=gravel|scree|sand etc.
|.|  waterway=river_channel

Please have a look at: http://scrapy.net/osm/river_channel.png [2,3]
(not yet perfect, though maybe good to start off)

About the proposal: ..never done that. Could somebody tell me which
templates how to use etc. or even wants to do that piece of work?

I think as a prerequisite it's necessary to know what terms to use as
tag names and values.

. (main) river|stream channel
. river bed
. river bank
. floodplain
. etc, Compare to [4]

After that, but not yet of importance, my style suggestion was:
contourless area, filled with transparent pattern [5]

"Large flood-prone rivers often have extensive braided streams with
large extents of river shingle, pebbles and bars above the normal
water-level. At the moment there is no means of showing this in OSM. The
existing tag natural=scree was used in the Philippines whilst mapping
after flooding. This shows a quick hack (based on changes to the
landuse=quarry render rules) to mapnik to show this tag." (SK53 [6])

Let me know what you guys think about that!

Cheers
Klaus

Sources and references:

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Intermittent_river