[Tagging] Reference numbers for UK Public Rights of Way

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 18:34:53 BST 2010

This sounds a lot like what could be translated as "vicinal roads" in Belgium
(French: "sentiers/chemins vicinaux", Dutch: "buurtwegen"). It's from an atlas
made in the 1840's that summed up all public roads and paths in each
municipality, and in it they also gave numbers to all public paths and roads.
Unfortunately this atlas wasn't kept up to date (even though it should have,
as the atlas and the law that came with it is still valid today, e.g. farmers
can be forced to reopen a path on their field if it's in the atlas), so most
streets built since then never got a number, and many streets or paths from
the atlas have disappeared since.

Anyway, since it's still valid today and because you can see traces of these
numbers (sometimes the street sign just says "voetweg 35" (footway 35)), and
some municipalities even have special signs with these numbers, and because
they can be referred to in official decrees, it has some value to be tagged.

The tagging scheme I chose was: "vicinal_ref" for the number, and
"vicinal_type" for telling whether it is designated as a path or a road. Using
"ref" is a bad idea IMHO, because often the roads with road numbers we tag
with "ref" also have this vicinal ref.

Greetings
Ben